100% CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayWolf

In Runtime
What's up everyone, I got a question for you all...

Someone once told me that pushing your CPU to 100% for an extended period of time would shorten it's life or burn it up. Now to test my current cooling situation I downloaded a free app called CPU Burn In which uses FPU functions to push the CPU to 100% all the time monitoring my temps, I did this for an hour straight, the temp never went above 51C.

WhatÂ’s your opinion? Will 100% CPU usage shorten the life of the chip? My guess is No since the manufactures under clock their chips to ensure that they are stable. (Intel does anyway I donno about AMD. I have an AMD 64 3400) So how could extended 100% CPU usage damage the processor? The only thing I can think of is if the CPU fan failed or something caused the CPU to overheat.

BTW: my processor isn't overclocked or anything.

Yes, it will take down your comp's life...but you computer is speced to run hundreds of thousands of hrs. As long as you don't leave your comp 24/7 you'll be fine. And make sure it's 100% CPU like windows task manager graph says it, not the processes tab because that's the percentage of the total CPU that's being used.

I have been told that a processor is designed to last 20 years. if thats the case, you'll never burn up your CPU and you should never have to worry about wearing it out. Even if you could, that just says "time to upgrade!"

its around 1000000 hours for cpu life. They are designed to be able to run at 100%.

What shortens the life of the cpu is heat, so if you are that worried about losing a few hours off of the life span, than get a better heatsink, but just ignore it being at 51*C, as you will be on a new pc before it dies from heat, or the other components would die well before the cpu does.

hercules_upw said:
I have been told that a processor is designed to last 20 years. if thats the case, you'll never burn up your CPU and you should never have to worry about wearing it out. Even if you could, that just says "time to upgrade!"

In reality it's 5 for a hot \ overclocked cpu and 10 for a normal CPU at minimum.

And by that time, yeah time to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom