100% CPU usage - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default 100% CPU usage

What's up everyone, I got a question for you all...

Someone once told me that pushing your CPU to 100% for an extended period of time would shorten it's life or burn it up. Now to test my current cooling situation I downloaded a free app called CPU Burn In which uses FPU functions to push the CPU to 100% all the time monitoring my temps, I did this for an hour straight, the temp never went above 51C.

WhatÂ’s your opinion? Will 100% CPU usage shorten the life of the chip? My guess is No since the manufactures under clock their chips to ensure that they are stable. (Intel does anyway I donno about AMD. I have an AMD 64 3400) So how could extended 100% CPU usage damage the processor? The only thing I can think of is if the CPU fan failed or something caused the CPU to overheat.

BTW: my processor isn't overclocked or anything.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yes, it will take down your comp's life...but you computer is speced to run hundreds of thousands of hrs. As long as you don't leave your comp 24/7 you'll be fine. And make sure it's 100% CPU like windows task manager graph says it, not the processes tab because that's the percentage of the total CPU that's being used.

120 gig PATA Hard drive
128 mb AGP 8x ATI Radeon 9250
300 watt 12 volt psu
Antec SLK 1600 case
Old 05-06-2005, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have been told that a processor is designed to last 20 years. if thats the case, you'll never burn up your CPU and you should never have to worry about wearing it out. Even if you could, that just says "time to upgrade!"
EVGA 8800 GTS Video Card
Corsair XMS 2 x 1gig RAM
Zalman 9500 CPU cooler
Old 05-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

its around 1000000 hours for cpu life. They are designed to be able to run at 100%.

What shortens the life of the cpu is heat, so if you are that worried about losing a few hours off of the life span, than get a better heatsink, but just ignore it being at 51*C, as you will be on a new pc before it dies from heat, or the other components would die well before the cpu does.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 05-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by hercules_upw
I have been told that a processor is designed to last 20 years. if thats the case, you'll never burn up your CPU and you should never have to worry about wearing it out. Even if you could, that just says "time to upgrade!"
In reality it's 5 for a hot \ overclocked cpu and 10 for a normal CPU at minimum.

And by that time, yeah time to upgrade
Closed Thread