-1 Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
Rebooted the computer a few hours ago, heard several loud clicks followed by a thunk sound and my start-up froze at the windows XP screen...after spending about an hour trying to figure out which drive was the issue I went into my bios and found that my prized 500 drive was not being detected...pulled the cable and windows booted fine

Now then I have to figure out a way to try and salvage the data off of a drive that refuses to boot when it's plugged it and won't even show up in the bios...if anyone knows any dos based recovery tools that would be very nice

But yeah, I have no where to archive this stuff assuming I can even pull it off successfully, and although it isn't anything crucial, it still took hours and hours of downloading to get all that stuff...you start to realize that regardless of a "5 year warranty" that doesn't mean jack if you lose everything on the drive itself

I guess it's partly my fault and I should have done some reading, as we all know the larger the drive is the more platters that drive will contain and thus the more heat it will produce...in the case of Seagate drives with three or more platters, there is an issue with the controller chip within the drive frying after a duration of intensive reading and writing...therefore if you want a drive 250 or larger, I advise you avoid Seagate as they do not live up their reputation with larger drives

WD next time for me

western digital has more expensive hard drives

my computer's hard drive was 40 GB, bought 2 years ago, for $120!

now, you can get a maxtor 80GB hard drive for $50....

in my opinion, i would go for maxtor, just for the price...

That is exactly why I don't go for the greatest and biggest HDDs. I always go 2 sizes or less below the current max.

I figure if they can offer a 5 year warranty on the largest drive, the "smaller" drive is pretty safe due to heating issues.

what the **** kind of a comparison in price are 2 products from 2 years apart? from what i see WD actually make cheaper drives (at least the prices we get around here) and the drives are faster. for a fee seagate will probably recover the data for you if you RMA it. don't think you will have a chance with DOS based recovery tools. if the BIOS can't detect the drive then as far as the PC is concerned it doesn't exist.

Of course I have a fan blowing over my drive cages but apparently that wasn't good enough for whatever reason...I'm not paying for data recovery either since as I said nothing on the drive was crucial, this was simply a really big annoyance

gaara said:
Of course I have a fan blowing over my drive cages but apparently that wasn't good enough for whatever reason...I'm not paying for data recovery either since as I said nothing on the drive was crucial, this was simply a really big annoyance

Have you tried the freezer trick for the drive?

I wasn't familiar with the freezer trick but after googling it up I don't know if it will remedy the problem...it seems to only be successful with drives that are in the process of dying, and in my case, based on the sound it made and the diagnostic, I think mine is just flat dead

Plus I already have it packaged up for RMA and will be mailing it tomorow, maybe I'll try it with my next dead drive

"rial#!gg@$.com..."

Why lucky you! The hard drive that crashed in your computer happens to be from the worst possible hard drive company? :wooha:

If you can, try making a XP boot floppy from the ADd\remove programs control panel, and boot through that with the old drive connected. Then after the command prompt comes up, just type FDISK and see if that cand find your drive. Other than that, i don't know what else you can do, homeboy. :( :cool:

Re: "rial#!gg@$.com..."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
Why lucky you! The hard drive that crashed in your computer happens to be from the worst possible hard drive company? :wooha:

seagate is not the worst possible hard drive company....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom