#1 Mobo - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2003, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default #1 Mobo

I am collecting all the cash I'll need for the ultimate computer but while I hear lots of consistance based on the best video card, etc for my use, I never get the same answer twice from people about motherboards. I'm looking for a motherboard that has onboard networking so that I don't have to waste a PCI slot on a NIC.

Anyway, this is what I'm planning on for my computer:
Athlon XP 3000+ or Dual MP 2600+ Processors
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Sound Card
Two 1024MB RAM sticks (not sure which brand yet)

The rest is open for discussion but at this point, I am trying to make a decision on the motherboard.

Old 03-07-2003, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

wow. that's a lot of money so far. what the heck are you doing with this box (if you don't mind me asking)?

Old 03-07-2003, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally posted by MicroBell
Your gona have to decide which way your going on the CPU... Dual XP's will limit your choice of a motherboard...because there are just a few out there... If you go XP3000+..will it be the Barton chip??
Yeah, I know. I haven't decided yet so it's up for discussion. From what I have heard, dual processors aren't supported by games very often and can be a large waste if that's the case.

Yeah, I'd probably go Barton if XP3000+ ends up as my choice.

wow. that's a lot of money so far. what the heck are you doing with this box (if you don't mind me asking)?
A little bit of everything actually. Gaming (which is probably the one that requires the most), Multi-boot (linux, windows, possible other OS's in the future), Programming, Photoshop editing, 3D modeling (although I'm not much of an artist, I want to have the capability of doing things when I need to). I know what I'm planning is a little overboard for what I need, but it's a new idea of mine. Basically, I think if I go for the best parts and everything, then I don't have to upgrade as often and in the long-run, I'll save money. I want this computer to become my primary one so that when it does come time to upgrade it, I can keep it at top of the line.

I'll be saving for another 3-4 months at least and right now I have about $1300. I figure if I find good prices, I can get away with everything for about $1500-$1600. Does that sound reasonable or am I hoping for a miracle? :P

Closed Thread