1.5GB single-channel or 1GB dual-channel RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackie

Beta member
Can I get some advice on which is a better selection? Lenovo is giving 512MB free RAM. But I feel all I really need is 1GB. And if I get 1.5, then I lose any advantage dual-channel will give me.

Anybody got any advice on which is the better route for computer performance?

Thx guys. Do you guys still feel dual-channel is the better choice if I hope to install Vista in a couple years? Do you think 1GB is enough to run Vista without any hangups?

Vista needs a lot of ram, so just remove the 512MB memory that you have, and then add two 1GB memory. You will have 2GB dual-channel RAM !!!!

when i bought my pc the store dude told me get 512 dual channel but i thought maybe ill need more RAM so i bought 1gb single sticked and 2 days ago i bought the second 1Gb and now i got 2GB in dual channel without wasting to many RAM slots.

I will say dual channel is the better option, however it is a little over-rated, as in your computer won't lose very much performance.

The only reason I see as not getting dual-channel when you buy ram is if you plan on getting more later then having them in DC (ex. buy 1 gig stick now, buy another later = 2GB dual channel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom