ZV5000 Powerjacks HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomix

Beta member
ok so theres no power going to my lappy. I troubleshooted it, and through series of simple tests, i traced the problem to the powerjack. I found the replacement part looks like this:
83101.jpg

I dont know how to take it off of my motherboard. and if i do, will i be able to just "Snap" it on meaning i dont have to weld anything?

First of all, does you laptop still have a valid warranty? Is so donÂ’t even attempt it!

I have seen that before. It happened to a friend of mine, he tried to replace it but he ended up buying a new mother board (a pull).
Unfortunately there is no way to just snap it on, at least not that I have seen I really don’t know in your case but If you want to fix it you will need to melt the lead (solder: silver stuff, not pure lead its some sort of mix) around the little “prongs” that are holding it on and pull off the old part. By the way you will need a soldering iron. Then you have to put the new part back in the old holes and apply more “solder” (you CAN NOT use the old stuff) to the prongs to secure it back on to the mother board. The lead conducts electricity (I think you know this already) so the lead can not cross any contacts or any thing like, that that will cause a short. You will have to go buy a solder sucker and solder wick to so you can remove the heated metal.
The problem in most cases is that there are too many components that are heat sensitive near the part and that soldering iron gets **** hot! find some one that will repair it.

All I have to say is if you are like me and you donÂ’t know what you are doing, DONÂ’T TRY IT. You will only rune your mother board.

But if it is an old lap top like mine a satellite pro from 1995 at 165Mhz and 32Mb of ram, and its broken then you have nothing to loose why not try it, whats the worst that could happen?

I hope I helped have a nice day!

As David VH said this sis not that difficult a job but being careful is the key word. A motherboard is actually 2 boards put together and there are circuits running in the middle. If you apply too much heat to an area you can melt another circuit and never see it. Another thing is accidently touching another part of the board. So if you are comfortable with a soldering iron this can be done rather simply, however a repair shop can do this in about 15 minutes. good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom