Are you smarter than 3rd year PC Hardware Students?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sCribes

In Runtime
I have an issue, and its been passed throughout the school, even instructors, and so far no one has a fix or idea. Im guessing we are overlooking something.

I had a powersupply go bad.
Replaced powersupply still no boot.
Checked everything, replaced Motherboard
Computer boots.

Serial ATA (Software) Raid 0 Stripe across identical Maxtor 7200 RPM 120Gb Hard Drives.

Both harddrives passed multiple in house and third party disk/file system/partition tests.

Sata cables in appropriate drive. (1 -1, 2-2)

Both drives can be seen in the bios.

Both drives can be seen in the silicon raid setup utility.

It even knows they are in a raid 0 stripe.

Old motherboard was Nforce3.
Replacement motherboard is Sis.

upon booting, get file system/bad disk errors and cannot boot into windows.

I could easily format and repartition etc..but i have alot of pics and video of my daughter over the last year that i regretably didnt back up.

Anyone have any ideas.

All components in the computer have been cross checked and verified good in labs.

Thanks
Joel

You can't switch to another motherboard with raid. You need to use the same raid controller.

Use your old motherboard and it should work.

sounds like you're trying to boot from the striped pair....on another motherboard, correct? if that's the case then it won't work because windows was installed on the previous motherboard and contains information (e.g. hal.dll) that won't let the pc boot when the motherboard changes. run a repair through a windows install disk and it should be usable again. alternatively boot from another drive with the RAID installed and recover the data from the RAID. some third party data recovery software may be useful......

Agreed. You could do a system repair, see if that works. The mbd though has a different chipset than the previous mbd.

dont laugh but this seriously happened to someone i knew they were using windows oem which u can only install on one computer. I got really angry when i spent days trying to figure the problem out and thats what it was... dont want that to happen to you. sorry if u have already thought of this.

please list old hardware and new hardware manufacture and model.
Please list any beeps you may be getting or error codes. (beeps like 1 short,1long,2 beeps ext..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom