Yet ANOTHER hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhollenb

Beta member
Hello,
I bought an external USB2.0 enclosure for a Hard drive that used to be in another computer. But now I want it to be well external for my notebook and want windows to recognize it as a "removable drive" and not a "local drive". Any Idea how to do this through formatting and partitioning etc? Thanks, I just can't figure it out.
Oh, I have xp professional if that matters.
-Ben

you shouldn't need drivers. it will recognise it as a removable drive if it is plugged in via USB
as for formatting it, just plug it in, right click (in My Computer) then clock format. use NTFS if you're only using it on 2000 or above machines. FAT32 if you're using it on computers with 98 or below

thanks for the replys. I've tried formatting it but every time I plug it in, it keeps saying it's a "local drive". It's driving me crazy.
-Ben

Why does it matter what windows calls it? If it's removable and serves your purpose for your laptop and holds data, what's the problem?

lol - who cares if windows calls it, "Piece of shit drive?"

lol..I agree it doesnt matter if it has the actual title from windows "removable drive" it still is one. Those usually only come out with the camera reader devices.

nitestick said:
the only possible problem is that if it registers as a local drive there is no "safely remove" option.
^ Exactly, which is how my hard drive became corrupted before.
-Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom