Yet another CPU hardware issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So my computer crashed during Farcry 2 again due to the video card which didn't respond ( yes I know I am going to RMA it due to overheating options ) the thing that scared me though is when I hit the typical reboot button it didn't work so I held it for a few seconds and my computer shut down. However after waiting a bit and trying to turn it back on it didn't respond ( first time ever this happened ) and I had to turn off the power switch in the back and then turned it back on and my computer started up normally. Should I be worried? Can anyone what was going on? Is there ever a reason a computer refuses to turn on unless the PSU switch is flipped on and off?

I guess I'm just pretty unlucky :(

It seems you have a faulty PSU. There aren't many ways to test it but you can make sure the motherboard is on the case properly.

It seems you have a faulty PSU. There aren't many ways to test it but you can make sure the motherboard is on the case properly.

its on the case, this is the first time this happened, is it really rational to consider my PSU faulty?

Well it could be your motherboard of course but from my experience it has never turned out to be the case. Your PSU will power everything perfectly fine but it's usually that something inside isn't being grounded properly. Therefore as a safety feature, a new PSU will refuse to turn on if it knows something is wrong.

Well it could be your motherboard of course but from my experience it has never turned out to be the case. Your PSU will power everything perfectly fine but it's usually that something inside isn't being grounded properly. Therefore as a safety feature, a new PSU will refuse to turn on if it knows something is wrong.

and you can bypass that safety feature by turning the PSU on and off? ::worried now::

It doesn't bypass it Gabb it grounds it. Turning the switch on the back off blocks all electricity from entering the PSU and computer. Once you turn it back on the PSU has been grounded again since you cut the power to it.

It doesn't bypass it Gabb it grounds it. Turning the switch on the back off blocks all electricity from entering the PSU and computer. Once you turn it back on the PSU has been grounded again since you cut the power to it.

Ah...I'm a little confused still, does that mean everything is okay? I don't think I understand the term grounded very well, anyone want to give it to me in lamens terms?

Yes it is ok just an annoyance for you. Grounded means that the built up electricity in the PSU or computer is sent out and into the ground. In your case there is a power build up inside your PSU and you cannot ground it because you cannot touch the inside of your PSU without removing the case. When you flip the power switch off the built up charge dissipates since there is no more power source keeping it charged.

Yes it is ok just an annoyance for you. Grounded means that the built up electricity in the PSU or computer is sent out and into the ground. In your case there is a power build up inside your PSU and you cannot ground it because you cannot touch the inside of your PSU without removing the case. When you flip the power switch off the built up charge dissipates since there is no more power source keeping it charged.

ah thanks ur original post scared me a little :p this is the first time this has happened in 1.5 years of computer life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom