XPS finally crashed on me - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team

Send a message via AIM to Jerigorn Send a message via Yahoo to Jerigorn
Default XPS finally crashed on me

I have a XPS M1710 (see specs below). The other day I fired her up and too my suprise, the computer was running very slow. The taskmanager showed that 30% cpu usage was being utilized when no programs were running. Having internet explorer bumped the percentage up to 65. This has never happened before, I constanly keep my machine clean and defraged. After a few minutes of being on, the screen scrambles and computer locks up on me. Check this link, this is exatly what my screen looks like when the scrambling happens, even though the pic is of an ipod.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/DSC05116.jpg

For the few minutes of run time I have, I monitor the heat levels. Temps are normal, except on one occasion when the cpu temp jumped to well over 100F (not sure of an exact temp). I am leaning toward faulty video card. Any sugguestions?

~2048 MB DDR2 @ 667Mh
~7900 GTX 512
~Media Center
Old 04-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: XPS finally crashed on me

Faulty video card would make sense, although usually it doesn't effect the cpu usage. 100F is not bad by the way

Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

First do a virus scan, very probable that the whole slowdown/30% is being caused by a virus.
I'm guessing graphics card might also be overheating, so check the temps on that (either with a program, or, as it's probably pretty hot, you could just test it by touch just DONT static it). Also try and get an accurate read of your cpu temps (highest temp, does it stay high for long? etc.)
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

it sounds more like your cpu. if your cpu is going out the door it would make sense that the cpu usage would go up without a noticable cause.

download and run orthos/OCCT/prime95 and see if they pop up with any issues.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Content Team

Took it apart a few hours ago. The only problem I could see was a ton of dust caked on the cooling appartus for the cpu. After cleaning it throughly and putting everything back together, I fired her up. Once again I monitored temps while simultaneously watching CPU usage. The cpu never went over 25C/77F and gpu over 55C/122F but as before, the cpu usage skyrocketed in a matter of 10 minutes. I have posted an actual pic of the scrambled screen. Mind the background, I took the picture in a tent in Africa.

Image of Scrambled Screen - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
~2048 MB DDR2 @ 667Mh
~7900 GTX 512
~Media Center
Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Whenever that's happened to me it's always been that the gpu temps were over 9000 degrees, but that doesn't seem to be your problem. It could be like Peter said, that your cpu is slightly fried and is throwing up lots of errors. Run the programs he recommended, and post back.
oh, have you done a virus scan yet? Do one just so I can rule it out
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Content Team

I tried running some of these programs but the computer freezes up on me before they can finish.
~2048 MB DDR2 @ 667Mh
~7900 GTX 512
~Media Center
Old 05-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

That looks like an out of range frequency. Might want to boot your VGA first and change your frequency.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Content Team

Found out that this same thing happened to a friend of mine. He was under warrentee so he sent it back to dell. Their tech's indentified it as a bad video card and installed him a new one. Seeing as I don't have a way of diagnosing the problem and it worked for him, I am just going to go this route. Anyone know where I can find a Go 7900GTX? I saw a couple on ebay the other day.

~2048 MB DDR2 @ 667Mh
~7900 GTX 512
~Media Center
Closed Thread