XP won't Load, Powers Off MidStream

Status
Not open for further replies.

runtrails

Beta member
MoBo: Asus K7, AMD Athlon 1600 MHz, 1GB PC2100 RAM, 80GB WD HDD, AGP video card. I recently formatted my hard drive and re-installed XP. Because of previous problems installing XP, I first installed Win98. I had installed XP a month ago but my system would unexpectedly power off and then restart, sometimes three times before finally loading and staying put. In the process I would often loss settings like Netscape passwords or placement of shortcuts. Seemed to happen most when surfing the web. Well, installing XP over Win98 worked like a charm. Easiest install I have done. System seemed stable at first as I busily updated using Windows Update. Powered on and off numerous times but during the download and install of SP2 the power-off thing happened. I continued on with updates but during download and install of the following 89 critical items it would power off after every 5 or so but would re-load and do another 5. Just as I finished the last one (IE7), it powered off and now will not load past the initial Loading Windows screen. A brief flash of blue with some white script like the error message you can get when first installing and it powers off to endlessly cycle through the same process. Funny thing is that Win98 is still on my drive and I can load that with no problem. I can't even use Safe Mode with XP. Same result. Also same if I try to do Last Good Install, or Diagnostic. I tried unplugging everything except the USB keyboard. I tried replacing the video card with a VGA PCI card. I tried putting different memory in. I tried changing the BIOS to defaults.

Disable reboot on system failure. Right click my computer>>properties>>advanced>>Startup and Recovery settings>>

Uncheck Automatically restart.

Sounds like your computer is blue screening and rebooting. By doing this you will be able to read the error. Please post as much information as possible and include any STOP 0x errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom