XP w/ SP2 fresh install problem on new 500 GB HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4cer

Beta member
Hello,

I just replaced my motherboard and tried to load windows xp w/ sp2 on a fresh WD IDE 500 GB HD. Windows setup loads....I created a single partition and then format the drive with no problem. Afterward, the setup files start copying but it freezes up with several files and says they were not copied correctly. It also tells me to check my copy of XP. I checked in the bios and the full 500 GB drive is recognized. Just for kicks I put my old HD in (120 GB) and try to load XP on that. It does the same exact thing. My RAM checks OK....not sure what to do from here! Any help is appreciated...Thanks very much!

Sounds like something is up with your XP disc then, if the same thing happens to different hard drives. Check for any scratches.

My disc looks ok. Just to be sure I tried a friends copy of xp which he just used about a week ago for a re-install. It did the same thing during the copying of setup files????

Not going to be rude here, but if your disk an original or a burnt copy from your legit version? Depending on the quality of the media, i have seen back up disks not work after a while.

That is not being rude...its an honest and important question. Both my XP cd and my friends that I tried are valid and original from Microsoft.

Either that or your optical drive is on the way out. I've had times where I've been trying to install something, whether it be game or an OS, and it would fail for some reason or other. Turns out for those times, if it wasn't a faulty disk it was usually the drive going bad. Swapping it out for a new one fixed the issue.
If you've got a spare drive around you might want to try installing with that.

edit: carnage beat me :D and woah by 6 minutes too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom