XP Pro wont recognise 2nd DVD drive

pentos

Beta member
Hi Folks,
Im not a complete Luddite when it comes to PC's, and somewhere at the back of my mind is the nagging sensation that I know how to fix this, but I cant seem to put my finger on it so any help would be very gratefully received:

I have a self built, now somewhat elderly PC comprising:
Asus P5B-V mobo with Intel core 2 duo CPU @ 2.1 Ghz Running XP Pro SP2
4GB RAM
1 x 200GB sata system drive
2 x 500GB sata HDs in a RAID array
1 x 1TB sata drive
1 x 250 GB sata drive
1 x 150 GB sata drive

Also 1 x Sony DRU-810A dual layer DVD burner (IDE)
(there are also two further virtual CD/DVD players)

And I'm trying to install a 2nd burner - NEC ND3530A (IDE)
And therein lies the rub

It doesn't seem to matter which jumper configuration or position on the cable I place them, the Sony consistently fails to get recognized. However they both show up just fine in the BIOS.

BTW this MOBO only has one IDE port, so I am forced to place them on the same ribbon.
Now I know for a fact Ive had a configuration like this working before, I just cannot for the life of me get it to work at the moment.
Any help gratefully received
Jonathan

What jumper setting do you have optical drives on? There may be a letter conflict with your drives and virtual drives. Do you see it in Computer Management?

Hi and thanks for your input.
I have them currently set as Master and Slave, the master being the Sony at the end of the ribbon.
The rest of the drives are assigned as follows:
System C
Data E, D, I, M (raid)
DVD F (this is the NEC)
Virtual DVD H ( Magic ISO virtual dvd rom)
L (Ztekware OCDE virtual)

Thanks again
Jonathan

Just a bit more info:
I've taken a closer look and I appear to have 6 IDE controllers:
Intel ICH8 2 port serial ATA Storage controller - 2825
Intel ICH8 4 port serial ATA Storage controller - 2820
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

According to Nero info tool, the NEC burner (recognised DVD drive) is the second item (ID2)on an "Unknown Adapter" the first being the RAID array (ID0).

There is a second "Unknown Adapter" which has only one item listed: Magic ISO Virtual DVD-ROM (ID0)

Quite how the NEC burner has ended up on the RAID array adapter is puzzling.
The Sony DVD burner is not recognised anywhere other than the BIOS.

If I could find a way to move the NEC to the other "Unknown Adapter" and delete the other virtual DVD, might I then be able to install the Sony in its place?

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom