XP install/booting problem (ntldr, sata)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VockViel

Beta member
$10 to fix this: XP install/booting problem (ntldr, sata)

Hello everyone!
I have a kinda complex problem that I would love to get some suggestions about. Perhaps someone can suggest something that I'm missing. The first person to give the suggestion that fixes the problem gets $10 paypaled to them.

Ok, here goes:

I was running my computer the other day (a 2003, winxp pro, p4 2.8ghz system w/ primary sata hdd) and I decide to do a disk cleanup, because my sata hdd (where the windows install is located) was starting to get full. So I start to run the cleanup and midway thru my computer locks up. I do a hard reset, and the computer boots up normally until getting to the windows xp loading screen (the black boot screen w/ the windows xp logo and the little blue bar going back and forth). It stays on this screen (as if it were loading) but never gets past this point.

So, I try booting into safe mode, and the bootup gets stuck at "agp440.sys." I do a little research and find that this could be related to the ntldr file becoming corrupt, so I use a boot cd to copy the "ntldr" file from a winXP cd. However, no change. I then tried to use the winxp CD and just install a fresh copy of windows over the old copy, BUT when the XP recovery CD loads and I select "new installation" it says "hard drive not found." I then use more boot CD tools to make sure that the partition on the sata drive is set as active, etc but no luck.

I then proceed to disconnect the SATA drive, grab a fresh IDE drive and do a new Windows install on it... seems fine but something is up...It doesn't recognize/install any drivers for my generic pci sound card or my built in (to the mobo) network adapter... very strange - this has never happened before when I've reinstalled windows.

So this is where I'm at, and I'm getting desperate. I am willing to pay the first person that gives me a solution that fixes the problem $10 via paypal.

When you istalled the ATA drive, did you try installing the SATA drive also, and see if Windows recognizes it?

Yes I did, but windows does not recognize the SATA drive, which is strange because my partition manager software "sees" the drive.

I am at the library using the internet until 5:20pm central time so I only have about 30 more minutes online until I can use my free cell minutes after 9. I appreciate anyones help as I need to get this resolved as soon as I can. Thanks :)

OK

OK, first off, to my knowledge WinXP does not support SATA natively. (off the CD) Which means, when you install (or re-install XP), there's a screen that says "Hit F6 to load SCSI or other Disk Drivers" or some such, hit F6, and browse (either CD or floppy) to your controller's specific SATA drivers. That should enable you to use your SATA drive as your "Boot" drive. Otherwise you'll just have to live with having your ATA/IDE drive being your "Boot" drive.

Next: There's no such thing as "Generic" sound drivers. Every manufacturer has different drivers. Yes, even most built-in motherboard audio chips require 3rd party drivers. Unless you have something included in the windows XP cd (and you can get that list by manually selecting drivers and listing them) you will need to go online and download drivers.

So, before you proceed too far, decide what you want to be your boot drive. If you want the SATA as your boot drive, go on the internet and get drivers. While you're getting SATA drivers, you might also find what audio chip you're running, and get drivers for it as well. If you don't have something like a Dell or Gateway, where drivers can be looked up based on chassis model, try looking up your motherboard manufacturer's site. They should have both SATA and Audio drivers listed. (if you kept your motherboard drivers cd, though, that'd be the BEST source). In desperation, you can get the model/serial number off the actual chip (works for SATA too) and google it. The SATA chip will probably be close to the SATA connectors. The Audio chip will be next to the audio jacks. G'luck, and keep your $10. Sounds like you'll need it!

Turn your sata option to IDE, since your working with a single sata drive and by default is set to raid. Hope something here works for you. I know how annoying it is to have that happen.

Hi there and thank you for the response. We finally got DSL installed so now I can respond much quicker.

Ok - I tried a floppy disk with the SATA drivers, but still the windows setup says that a hard drive could not be found. I have installed windows on this drive before without requiring those sata drivers btw...

Also, when I use the MS XP cd, it boots up and starts out by saying there is an install already in progress and would I like to "set up a new installation" or "continue the upgrade" -- Either one I choose, Windows setup tells me a few screens later that "no hard drive could be found unable to continue the instalation"

Any ideas?

I tried changing my sata option to IDE, no difference there.
It seems like Windows just isn't recognizing the drive during the install - it's driving me nuts, because Windows will actually boot normally until it gets stuck on the loading screen (the one with the little blue bar at the bottom). I need some serious help. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom