XP Home Not Recognizing 5 - 1 Media Card Reader - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question XP Home Not Recognizing 5 - 1 Media Card Reader

I'm in the process of reloading a PC with XP Home Edition. I've also bought one of those 5 in 1 media card readers with USB2 ports, audio ports, etc., to install in a 5.25" slot... I loaded the OS with the media card reader hooked up to my motherboard, and the install recognized them and assigned drive letters for each of them. However, it made my harddrive letter "H" which I did not like.

So, I disconnected the media card readers from the USB headers on the MB, reformatted and re-installed the OS... When I reattach the card readers to the USB headers on the MB and powered / booted the PC back up, it does not assign any drive letters to them, and does not recognize and media cards I insert into them.

I know the USB headers are OK because when I insert a memory stick into the USB2 ports, they register and I'm able to browse the files...

Does anyone have an idea how to get these card readers working?

The MB is an ASUS A8N-LA, with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor...

Old 04-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: XP Home Not Recognizing 5 - 1 Media Card Reader

You need to install the drivers for the device. When you had it installed with Windows it installed the drivers and assigned it a drive letter which you can change.

So you will need to install the drivers. After that you can go into the Device Manager to assign the drive letter you want.

Right click on My Computer>Manage. When that screen comes up select the Disk Management option. There you will see all your drives listed. Just right click on the Media Card reader and Change the Drive letter to one you want.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread