XP Boot disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
I need an XP boot disc to fix my friend's computer. Can I download it somewhere? Or can someone send me a spare copy?

you mean a XP install CD...Windows XP doesn't use boot floppies and you can very easily fina a "not so legal" copy of WinXP around on the Torrents among other places

No, I have an install CD. All I have for a boot disk is a win98 boot, and that won't work with a fresh install of XP.

Actually that isn't what I need. I need to format the drive with an XP boot disk, that link doesn't have one.. it just has a quick boot to repair XP.

I'll explain what I'm trying to do, maybe there is another way.

I normally format with my Win98 boot disk, install windows 98, then upgrade to XP. This has worked fine for every computer I've ever tried it with. However, this computer is being gay. His hardware is simply not compatible with windows 98. I need to format this drive and do a clean install of XP. I tried formatting with the Win98 boot disk, but when I try to install XP it says it cannot continue.

Is there another way to format the drive and install XP?

Boot off the cd, I believe xp install disk has a partition manager..... if that doesn't work, then delete the partition, then boot off cd, and let xp make a new partition.

If I boot off the CD, it starts recognizing hardware then gets to a point that says Setup Cannot Continue.

How do I delete the partition without MS-DOS? If I try to run the computer without any discs in it says Invalid System Disc.

jdhore1 said:
basically after all that, the system is f'ed....

Heh no I don't believe thats the prob, have you ever heard the expression 'loose nut behind the wheel' ?

OK now I'll try it simpler, Delete in dos....

This probably isn't the reason you can't continue, I'll explain a little more after I cook dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom