XFX KT400-ALH.. No 333FSB Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan80

Solid State Member
I have a really annoying problemÂ… my system is listed below!...

AMD Sempron 2800+
768MB DDR333 CL2.5
XFX Mach4 KT400-ALH
Creative FX5900 128MB
SB Live 5.1
80GB Maxtor 7,200RPM
Windows XP Professional

I have a (as the title suggests) XFX Mach4 KT400-ALH motherboard.. I recently bought an AMD Sempron (333FSB) 2800+ installed the processorÂ… it clocked in as an AMD AthlonXP 1900+ which I fully expected as I cant find an updated BIOS for this board so it will correctly show as a Sempron. IÂ’ve tried the XFXForce website for a new bios.. the links are as dead as elvis.. googling didnÂ’t provide any results either!.. anyway that isnÂ’t my real concern at the minute..

Listed in the printed manual that came with the motherboard is jumpers JP5 & JP6 for manually setting the FSB! Default is 200Mhz.. the jumper was previously set at 266Mhz, for my old AthlonXP 2000+.. So I attempt to set the jumper to 333Mhz as stated in the manual andÂ…. there isnÂ’t a JP6 jumper to short?..

No jumper.. just two holes filled perfectly with solder.. right next to these holes is of course JP5? Printed not far from the two holes is “JP5 closed 200Mhz open 266Mhz”.. nothing else.. there are of course markings to show JP5 & JP6 on the motherboard but there isn’t any jumper to connect JP6?

So I enter the bios and manually set the FSB to 166x2=333.. reboot.. black screen.. hit reset.. it POSTÂ’s.. startup windows.. then enjoy random crashes and of course an instant reboot if any 3D game is loadedÂ…so IÂ’ve been forced to run the Sempron as an AthlonXP 1900+ only way to keep it stable.. everything works perfectly like this!..

IÂ’ve tried setting the FSB within the bios to 165,164,163,162,161 & 160 then I gave up and came here! So it looks like no JP6 jumper, no way to manually set the FSB to 166.. 333.. manually setting it within the bios never works.. tried it when I first got my AthlonXP 2000+ thought IÂ’d manually set the FSB to 133.. which worked fine for all but two minutes and produced the exact same results as listed above!. Manually setting the jumper fixed the problem!

Any ideas, suggestions links to useful info would be most welcomeÂ…:)

Problem Solved!

I think IÂ’ve solved this problem myselfÂ… at least temporally!... to cut to the point unlike my post aboveÂ…

I went into the bios.. set the RAM speed to DDR266.. manually set the FSB to 166.. Result is.. CPU FSB@333mhz without the jumper! DDR RAM running at 333, not 412Mhz like before and the possible cause of my rebooting!.. almost perfect expect..

Sandra 2005 is reporting an AGP BUS speed of 82mhz and a PCI BUS speed of 41Mhz.. which cant all be good.. but at least everything is stable for now! Think IÂ’ll drop the FSB speed down about 10mhz and allow some breathing room for the AGP & PCI BUSÂ’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom