X1950XTX - PWR Supply Choking my Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

CronusTheUndead

Beta member
I got my spankin new X1950XTX in the mail today sadly only to find it's pushing my power supply out the window :( . Requiring 30 amps on a 12v rail is a little more than my puny 17amp rail can dish out.....

I loaded up my rig thinking it was going fine, but it restarts into a black death after the Windows loading screen.........
Can anyone tell me whether there is some way around this, and if not maybe a good 600 Watter or so that can handle all I have and maybe a future upgrade or two? Somethin with a decent rep and at least a 30amp 12v rail or two (550 or lower should be fine as long as they have real nice 12v's[30amps or higher]). I would do it myself, but know nothing about power supplies(other than what I learned today) nor how to tell the good ones from the bad and the ugly.....

My specs - :beard:

AMD 3700+ (2.2Ghz)
2Gb (4x512) Corsair XMS, DDR400 PC3200
Sapphire X1950XTX (2Ghz memory clock XD )
EVGA nForce 4 SLI mobo
300Gb Maxtor HDD
UltraX2 550W PSU

All the other gizmo's as well - 2 smaller hdd's, 2 DVD-RW's, army of fans, and 2 Cold Cathodes.

ANY help would be much appreciated, till then I can't touch my oh so very sweet new card...... :angry:

um , that is ALOT of power, you can always try unplugging cathodes and see if that gives you any more power,

look at the thermaltake toughpower and the silverstone both 750w xclio makes a less expensive 700w also, i dont see any amp rating but with four rails im sure its split even enough

you might be good with 700w but from the looks of ur system i would play the safe route with atleast 750w

Reccomend the OCZ game Extreme 700 watt for 150 at newegg.

I now Own it and I must say its excellent.

Quad 12V Rails with 19 Amps each. Oh yeah.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, but im still not getting a grip on this ampage thing.......

The psu's you guys recommend have 4x18 amp rails, so if I only use one, extra ampage is rerouted from the others to the one im using? as I need a 30. And if so, why doesn't it do that with my current psu? Is it because im sucking it dry before it can have any extra power to reroute, or a feature in newer better PSU's, or am I still missing something here?

Also, I found this 520w that has a 35amp 12v rail. Is this enough to run my system and new card, or should I dish out the $150+ for a 700w-750w brand name with four 12v rails, especially with the ddr2 ram, dx10 cards, and all the endless upgrades on the horizon?Don't know if it makes sense, since alot of the new stuff is being made to be alot more power efficient(the new intel procs are a perfect example)......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom