X1950xt is very hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisey12

Solid State Member
Hey,

This is my first post, The forums looks great! Thanks in advance for all advice.

I recently bought an entirely new pc. I got the parts and put it together myself. It is as follows:

Mobo - Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2
Cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
RAM - GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
GPU - Sapphire ATI X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO dual DVI PCI-E Graphics Card
Case - Gladiator Mid Tower Case - With 500W PSU and 12cm Front Fan
PSU - Hiper 580W Type-M Black PSU

It is running extremely well, I am so pleased as it is the first pc I have put together. I have 1 problem:

The Graphics card X1950xt by Sapphire seems to be very hot.

Idle Temp = 47-49C (113F)
Gaming = 80-82C (176F)

I've been told this is too high. Although games seem to be running ok without artifacting.

Ive managed to reduce the Temp abit be reshuffling my pc location and I'm getting 2 more 120mm fans to aid this.

It could be:
1> Temp sensor is not quite correct
2> Fan isn't working properly
3> Card is faulty and will have to be replaced.

Thanks for all advice, If you need more info i'll try and get it for you!

Wisey

psh tell me about it.

the highest my xtx ever went was 96 after like 3 hours of FEAR, and i cooled it down with AS5. I have an x1900xtx, but you should be getting a little lower, the x1950 series is a little cooler....

heheh my 6800gt would sometimes go above 100 until i installed an aftermarket cooler. If you would touch the side of the pc you could feel the heat :)).

thats seems ok my x1300pro runs almost the same as yours . tomorrow im getting a pci fan card that will blow at my video card because when i touch this da*n thing it burns

Oh.

So the Antec just sucks air out of the case. But that other one draws it away from the graphics card...?

So which would be more effective? Because there is already a large cooling unit on the card.

I've just realised that this situation is quite ironic... beacuse it's a better card than my last one, which means I can monitor the temperature, it could have been that my old card was that hot but I just didnt know it.

I have a X1950XT as well. I am Folding with it, and it sits at a steady 87-88 degrees if I am doing anything else (like surfing or homework). I plan on getting some good thermal paste (hopefully this payday) and cooling it a bit. I am also going to rig up some ductwork to let it suck in air from outside the case directly.

Yea, I've been looking at an Antec VCool to put in just below the graphics card to try and help it some more.

Antec VCool Expansion Slot Cooler

If the high temp is quite a common occurence then I'll do my best to lower it but wont get to worried!

"Antec brings fresh air to your graphics card and system with VCool the extendible 3-speed intake fan that can keep your graphics card 5° to 15°C cooler for maximum performance."

I would go with a combo of all suggestions right now... the slot fan you mentioned, and the AS5 that was spoken of... between the 2, I'm sure your temps will drop some...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom