WTF is up with my old pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Ok, my old pc -E8400- 8600gt- 4gb ddr2- p5n-e sli, has a really strange problem. when you hit the power button, it sometimes starts and then turns off automaticly after a few seconds. other times it will go all the way into windows and work fine for anything up to 2 houres then shut off. it happens at random. Now u may be thinking "bad powersupply or ram" but you'd be wrong. we put 3 different ram modules in it - no difference, replaced the power supply with several different ones - no difference, reseated the CPU - no difference, put a 2 different cpu's in - no difference, replaced the CPU Grease - no difference, reseated the GPU - no difference. we have also reconnected "ALL" the cables, tested the motherboard for issues, tryed to start with no HDD plugged in. we've done everything.
WTF is wrong with this thing? just cant put a finger on it,
any help?

Iam not sure how to put it. the person who did it is a trained pc builder, he our friend. u touch two compasitors together using a screwdriver and the pc should start up. dont ask me how it works but all i know is that they have to be 2 specific compasitors and it might only be for my type of MOBO, not sure.

I have never tried that method but I would generally say that if it is an intermittent power issue with the board that may not catch it.

When you say you have tried 3 different modules of ram, how many slots do you have? Have you tried each slot separately?

Have you tried to stress test the machine when it does come up?

Two capacitors with a screw driver? I can touch the ground and positive power on jumper leads on my motherboard and power it on.

If a capacitor is not properly discharging it should not affect the motherboards ability to power on. If anything it would only affect the stability of the system.

Still, it makes no sense to me.

Capacitors will not allow a system to power on when they will not hold a charge. This is usually caused by a capacitor that has overheated or been overvolted thus causing the capacitor to bulge or burst completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom