Wrong ram computer does not boot! Burn motherboard? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Thumbs down Wrong ram computer does not boot! Burn motherboard?

I tryed to put in a DDR2 and DDR Ram at the same time in the computer! Anyways, was a bad idea! After I put in 512mb of DDR and 512of DDR2 and tryed to turn on the computer! The computer started for about 5seconds and then blank, a little smell like from moboard. After I unplugged it and plugged it back in it came on, I mean just the leds on the tower came on, does not react to key pressings, screen does not come on?! Tryed taking out the ram and trying one at a time, doesn't help! The rams do not look damaged! Motherboard fried, no signs on the outside! What should I replace!?

OK! After I cleared the CMOS! Here is how I did it! I unplugged the computer from the power! Took out the jumper and placed it on 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2! After I had it there for like 3 seconds I put the jumper back! Plugged in the PC and tried starting it! The problem would resist so I repeated the steps to clear CMOS! This time around after clearing the CMOS second time, the computer doesn't even have LED coming on as it has had before and not fan/cpu running, in other words no reaction of any kind after I press the power button! I am buying new Mother board and new Rams also, could I have over cleared it, the CMOS? Why wont's the fans run and not reaction to a power button press?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to X2Xtreme360
Default Re: Wrong ram computer does not boot! Burn motherboard?

Tryed taking out the ram and trying one at a time, doesn't help!
You should first note that you can't put different types of RAM into a pc. Your motherboard manual should tell you what type of ram it supports. Putting DDR2 into a mobo that uses DDR is pretty much fatal to the motherboard almost every time. How did the two sticks fit anyway? Usually DDR2 is 240 pin (with exceptions to the 184 pin type) but aren't the notches in different spots?

Anyway... pay attention next time. You're out a mother board I'm pretty certain.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Wrong ram computer does not boot! Burn motherboard?

First off, you didn't clear the CMOS right. You have to change the jumper to 2-3 and then power the computer up. Shut down, and switch to 1-2 pins. I don't know any DDR2 that is 184pin, and the one's that say they're DDR2 and 184-pin are usually mislabeled. What are the part numbers to each stick of RAM? Clear the CMOS, and leave the "DDR" RAM in it. Most likely you've just burnt up the "DDR2" stick, which I've done before...
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Closed Thread