Wrong display colors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Wrong display colors

Hello people. My sisters laptop display has changed colors, and i cant figure out for the life of me whats wrong with it. Almost reminds of back in the day when you could change to 16 bit colors, and u would see the rainbow effect. I was thinking maybe the inverter went but wouldnt the screen not work at all?

Compaq presario cq50-105nr
windows Vista 6.0 SP1
athlon x-2 2.0ghz
Nvidea Gforce 8200m G

All drivers are upto date and no issues in device manager...

Any ideas

Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Wrong display colors

I have seen standard LCD monitors do the identical funky colors like your showing when the dvi/vga cable goes bad. Open it up and check the connector behind the screen and at the other end on the motherboard, make sure they are not loose

Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea . i ve tried that. all seemed to be in order on both ends. but hat was just a visual check. i suppose i could break out the MM and check for bad wires. any other ideas while i have it open again?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Connect an external monitor to the notebook and see if the image looks right there. If it does, it is likely the notebook's monitor. If the image is bad on the 2nd monitor, then you have a graphics/motherboard issue.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
MS MVP Windows Expert-IT Pro, Engineering 2007 - 2014

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, I connected an external monitor and it looked fine. so I guess your right. thanks for the help.
Closed Thread