Worst RAM location ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk Mama

Solid State Member
After searching online and finding all these wonderful RAM installation tutorials, I thought it would be nice and easy to buy me some RAM and stick in into my motherboard.

But I was not prepared for the horrors that awaited me.

This is where my RAM slots are...

computersidev.jpg

Can't see? Having trouble spying them? Let me zoom it in for you!

theramhorrorz.jpg

Whoever designed my computer obviously hates me D:

Any tips as to how I'm gonna install this new RAM? You know, without tearing the thing apart to get to the slots? Computer is a HP m8170.uk.

Funk Mama out!

First clean up those wires...

That is the usual positioning of the RAM slots, you know. It's just your case that is the problem

Ok, how would I go about cleaning up the wires? Those images are taken with nothing changed or removed inside the case, and I don't particularly feel comfortable doing too much fiddling in there.

What would be the easiest path for me to get to the RAM slots? I'm thinking remove the "HP Media Drive" slot thats directly above them... but I'm not sure if it IS removable, and I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Suggestions?

Honestly there's not much you could do with the wires.. You could try to cram anything you're not using into the empty drive bay there. Other than that I can't think of much :tongue:
And yeah, that's fairly common with prebuilt computers. I've had three exactly like that. Then I started building my own computers.. The one I have now is my third custom one thumbsup: Never going back :tongue:

Usually those hdd cases have one screw you remove before you can slide out the whole thing, doesn't look like you're that lucky tho :p

The horrors D:

Is this just a situation where I slowly but surely try to find a way to angle myself to get the RAM in?

This is gonna be fun :p

Just go at it slow, most of us would remove things. If you have a camera, some scotch tape, and a sharpie, label things, and take pictures if your worried about forgetting something. I work on cars for the most part (current engine has **** near 400 parts o.0), and I lost a set of bolts, forgot what they looked like. The pictures I took saved my life after reviewing them.

If you dont want to move all the wires I think you could get at the slots easier by removing your graphics card. In the picture you can see how that is blocking access from the bottom where you may be able to slide them up and in. But like everyone else said, the wires need to be cleaned up anyway so now you have a good excuse.

Removing you PSU should give you ample access to that. Just remove the 4 screws harnessing it, and move it away from the RAM slots.

You are all so helpful! I intend to upgrade the graphics card anyway, and have both the RAM and card ordered. So I REALLY do have an excuse to clean up those wires :p

And I might of misunderstood you MindoverMaster, but the big grey metal thing directly above the RAM blocking access is a Hard Drive Bay, not a PSU. The PSU is in the top left of the first image and isn't blocking anything.

But at least that means it would probably be easier to remove if necessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom