Won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam5oh

Beta member
Hi all,

I went to turn on my computer after moving (via airplane) and things are not right. I turned on the power and couldn't hear the thing boot up and nothing came on the monitor. The LED on the motherboard is on, and the fans are running, but they seem to be going slower than normal. I tried ejecting the cd drives with the lights on, but nothing happened. Hooked up the monitor to a known working computer and that is fine. Sooo what do you guys think. Video card? PSU? I might have a spare that I can swap out, not sure. Unit in question is a dell dimension 4300. Thanks

I'd pop the case and check that all the wires from the PSU are seated properly.

See what that does for it, and then go from there.

All the wiring seems ok. I pulled out a spare PSU, but the connections are a bit different. The main plug seems to be the same, but the spare unit (out of an old HP) has a different secondary 4-pin plug that goes to the motherboard. The dell's is square shaped, but the HP's is inline. Anyhoo, I hooked up the other connections just for the **** of it and got the exact same symptoms. Lights come on, fan spins, but the hard drives dont seem to boot up. I then hooked everything up back to stock, but unplugged the hard drives and booted it up hoping to at least get to the bios screen. Nada.

With a move like that, I would try to reseat the CPU HSF. It is possible that the move (actual moving of the computer & turbulance & vibrations on the plane) could have jarred it loose. Make sure you replace the thermal paste on it if you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom