Won't boot with CD_ROM & DVD RW powered

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoobieSnacks

Beta member
Hello knowledgeable people.

I recently purchased a dvd burner, the I/O Magic IDVD16DLS, and swapped it out with my cd burner. The ide (secondary) cable is connected to my CD-ROM (slave) and my DVD burner (primary). My other ide (primary) cable is connected to a single hdd. When I started my computer with my new burner the computer would not boot. I only get the "no signal" on my monitor. However, when I unplug the power going to either my cd-rom OR my dvd burner, then the computer will start as normal. I thought that I needed a new psu so I bought a 500W psu to replace the 300W psu. Nothing changed.

Hi. I'm having a hard time making sense out of this. Are you sure all the connections are okay? Do you get to the BIOS at least? Do you get past BIOS? At what point you get the black screen with the "No Signal" message? Did you try booting into Safe Mode? Start the PC (with the DVD and CD powered) and immediately press F8 and from the Advanced Booting Options choose Safe Mode. Does it boot? You know, I don't see the relationship between (since it's not the power supply) powering those CD/DVD drives and the PC not able to boot. Please, list your computer specifications. Also, do you hear any beeps when the PC starts? Post back,ok?

When the power is connected to both drives the computer doesn't even get to the BIOS screen at all. When I turn on the power the only thing that happens is my monitor light blinks from green to orange to green, etc. When I turn my monitor off and then back on again that is when I see my Red-Green-Blue window floating around on the screen.

When I unplug one power connector, then I can turn on my computer. But even then, I have never been able to get into safe mode using the 'F8' button. I have even tried 'F5' b/c I've read that some people use F5 instead of F8. I had to d/l a program called bootsafe just so that I am able to get into Safe Mode.

For my speaker, I discovered one of the wires disconnected the other day when I had my computer opened up and I need to solder it back on to get it working. I suppose I should probably get cracking on that.

mobo: K7VTA3 (V8.0)
processor: AMD Duron 1600 MHz
chipset: VIA KT400 (VT8377)
vid card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 [NV17.2]
psu: Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W ATX 12V
hdd: WDC WD600AW-00DDK1
physical memory: 1024 MB
OpSys: WinXP Pro 5.01.2600 SP2
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/19/2004
CD-ROM: ATAPI CD-ROM 52XMax
DVD-drive: IDVD16DLS, crossflashed to BENQ DW1655

Riddle me this. I decided to try something different. I removed the CD-ROM (slave) from the secondary ide and put it on the primary ide with the hdd. My computer now starts up fine and both drives work normally.

It didn't work when I had both drives on that 2nd ide with cd on master and dvd on slave. I even tried cs one more time just to see and that didn't work either. I went and put the cd slave back with the hdd, and the dvd primary is on its own for now.

Hey, Scoobie...Everything still working fine after switching the drives to the other cable? Are you sure the controller or connectors on the cable are okay? How do you have your booting devices set up in your BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom