Won't boot to anything but BIOS - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Won't boot to anything but BIOS

I had the exact same problem, I had to replace my harddrive. Which is good considering that everyone was telling me the mobo was dead.

Though mine wasn't 3 years old.

8GB Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 1600MHz -- 2x XFX ATi Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well if you can't get a chkdsk running then I suggest to connect the HD to a different PC , format from there and then check if windows boots. I had this happen to me about a week and it wouldn't boot for me, so when windows was loading files I just connected my HD after it finished, check if you can get to the Windows window with the HD disconnected.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Well MEMTEST ran over night and found zero errors. Changed the CD drive, no help. Don't have a new HD to try but I'll see if I can find an old one or something.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

Do this , Boot from CD and keep your HD only with power no SATA/IDE let the Windows do its thing and when the blue windows things start to load connect the drive and check if it finds the partition.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Do this , Boot from CD and keep your HD only with power no SATA/IDE let the Windows do its thing and when the blue windows things start to load connect the drive and check if it finds the partition.
I did find an old HD and it booted to the install screen. Guess the old one is just toast. I never had one be so bad that it wouldn't at least get to the format screen though. Wonder if is a problem with the power in the drive itself. Like maybe something internal related to the power? Dunno. I'll try to get funding for a new one. Red tape runs the show...

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If there was any data on that HD that needed recovering you could try the freezer trick to try an get the data back.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chadwick View Post
If there was any data on that HD that needed recovering you could try the freezer trick to try an get the data back.
There may be, but I am unsympathetic when it comes to that. I tell these people from day one of hire, do NOT store data you might need on the local PC. Save it to your network share. Programs can be reinstalled, but I am not taking the time to try and recover your data that you can just as easily save to the network and gets backed up daily in multiple locations. Local PC's do NOT get backed up. Every user has their own network share for this purpose. 80GB of space. I'm the computer nazi I guess. *L*

Closed Thread