Wirless network security

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobBO

Solid State Member
Well I bought a Linksys wireless routher, and wireless PCI card, yesterday. And well it was fine last night, all games were working fine. but when I woke up this morning, the computer is recieving extreme lage. I never had lag like this before with direct cat-5 connect. And when I actually used my connection last night it was pretty late. So what I'm thinking is, maybe somone or someone(s) else in my nehiborhood is using a wireless router and PCI cards; so maybe thats why its giving me lag.

But my question is, how do is setup my wireless router to have like a password to connect or something. Just so I can block other people from using my connection? Please help, the lag on WoW is ****ing tedious. :mad:

You can use MAC filtering for each port, enable WPA or WEP which ever one your router has. Disable DHCP on the router and assign the ip address yourself on your computer.

isn't it disable SSID broadcasting?
yes, enable WEP (you'll need to put the WEP key in any computer with a wireless card too)

and, like suggested, MAC filtering too. if someone is trying to connect, they'll have to spoof a MAC address (they cannot change their real one, and they'll also have to FIND OUT what your's is) to get in, and they'll have to break your encryption (that can take literally hundreds of years, depending on how many bits it is)

Yea...a MAC filter should keep them out. You can also view your DHCP log and see if anyone else has connected to your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom