wireless router trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

megbass79

Beta member
My landlord has DSL and I just bought a Netgear wireless router so I can connect to her DSL from my laptop downstairs. I tried to install the Netgear thing on her laptop and it says that it does not detect an ethernet adaptor. What does this mean? What do I need to buy? Do I need a USB adaptor? I am so confused. Can someone please help me? THank you!

I suppose you should check if the laptop has an internal wireless NIC so you can know if it can connect to the router. if there is none, then i suppose you'll have to buy a wireless adapter for the laptop so it can transfer info from itself to the router.

I suppose you should check if the laptop has an internal wireless NIC so you can know if it can connect to the router. if there is none, then i suppose you'll have to buy a wireless adapter for the laptop so it can transfer info from itself to the router.

Though that's true, you may also want to consider what patonB asked as far as your specs and OS. Otherwise it's guesswork until we know more.

First, I would not recommend using the software included with the router. Plug the Router into the DSL Modem and her laptop into the Router directly. Make sure the modem is plugged into the broadband port on the router. It is usually set aside from the other ports. There are usually 4-5 ports on the back of wireless routers. Then type in the following address in an IE window: 192.168.1.1. This will bring up a web interface for the router. From here you can configure its settings. The address is pretty standard for any hardware and if she is currently connected to the DSL modem, then she has ethernet connectivity.

Start here and then reply back with further questions and in your reply include all hardware being used and OS version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom