Wireless dongle/ Lan chip - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Wireless dongle/ Lan chip

Hi all,

The basic issue here is that when plugging in my wireless USB dongle my internet won't connect. I've plugged it in different USB slots and re-installed the drivers to no effect.

Some background: My computer stopped working (Strange boot probelm) and my strong inclination was that the motherboard was the issue. A man in a computer shop agreed with me though he didn't take a look at the computer, and so did a tech guy on the phone. I sent it back under warranty, they said they fixed it (BIOS repair or something), I had the same problem when I received the component back, so I sent it away again, they said they couldn't find a problem this time, they sent it back to the wrong address, it went back to them, then they sent it back to me, and now, for some reason, magically, it works. I don't know why it suddenly works again, but I do know that every time they posted the motherboard they did so without any kind of protective packaging - the box is a little battered at one of the corners. So my worry is that whatever they've fixed, they now might have damaged something in transit.

Since before it first broke the contents of the hard drives have not changed, nor have the drivers changed, so I expected it all to work when I plugged it back in. However, in windows troubleshooting it says that there is a hardware or driver issue with my LAN, and when I go to details it names my Atheros Gbe LAN chip. I was also having problems getting device manager to recognise the wireless dongle; it now says it is installed and working but calls it an 'unknown device'. Still no internet, troubleshooting still says problem with Atheros. Re-installed what I think is those chip drivers from MOBO CD, still not working. So I started worrying that the chip was damaged. However, I have plugged in a wire from the router to my computer and this way the internet connects fine. So, I'm completely lost.

Something else which worries me: in device manager it says that my High Definition Audio Device cannot start, even though I have sound no problem. I'm worried this is more evidence that physical damage has been done to the motherboard.

Any help is hugely appreciated, thanks.

Matthew Whittingham

RiCkItY_ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Wireless dongle/ Lan chip

If things are working while Windows is showing problems then you might have a virus. Since this is a pre-built I'm guessing you have a restore partition or copy of Windows. Backup your files and restore the computer. If you still have problems then it will be the motherboard.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote