Wireless card makes W7 lag? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Wireless card makes W7 lag?

I installed a new wireless N card in my W7 desktop.
After a while, the connection starts to weaken and becomes unusable, though it stays connected with "internet access". Eventually I have to manually disconnect and reconnect.
The signal is down to 2 bars when connected but when I disconnect it jumps to 4 bars.
Wireless card driver: Ralink

At the same time, the PC starts lagging. The mouse and keyboard become jittery and unresponsive. Some programs just freeze. When it disconnect/reconnect everything is normal again. I can also wait it out. The CPU and the Ram don't even change or react to the lag.

I think the lagging and the wireless problem are unrelated, but they occur together. There is something wrong with the wireless driver, right?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Wireless card makes W7 lag?

Update the card driver with the latest one from the manufacturer. If that doesn't work try a generic microsoft driver to see if that helps.

May also want to ensure your router isn't killing the signal by testing the card on another PC.

-Vista SME
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Wireless card makes W7 lag?

Updated to
Nope. Still the same.
Nothing is wrong with my router, tested with a laptop. I don't have another Desktop to test it on.
How do I get the generic Microsoft driver?
Closed Thread