wiping a hardrive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 53
Default wiping a hardrive

is it okey to magnetically wipe a hard drive, if so how is it done. secondly will this remove viruses and adware, and anti-spyware programs

atpat22 is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,010

Magnetically as in get a powerful magnet and put it next to the drive? Yes but it is a bit excessive. It is simple to just format while in XP setup.


Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Trifid is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 53

how do you get to the setup it just gives me an error wen i try to get the disk setup, how strong does the magnet need to be
atpat22 is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
SYL\X/3K's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,646
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

heres 2 ways u can try clearing the HD
1. pull out the HD and shove it to a different system, set the jumpers to slave, go to My computer right click the secondary HD and click format
2. if ur planning to reinstall windows, then boot from ur Windows xp Cd and during the setup u can formatt it from there.

there are other ways to format HD such as software but these are the basic ones

90% of the time u can wipe out viruses,etc by formatting the other 10% can be permanent
P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
SYL\X/3K is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
sPlAtOiD's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,748

What are you trying to do? What do you mean setup? Are you trying to install windows? Use a win 98 floppy disk and boot from it and run format C: or whatever your drive letter is.
sPlAtOiD is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.