Windows XP Not Picking up SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodreb

Baseband Member
I'm about to reformat (i do it once every 6months) and i want to get my 10,000 rpm Raptor SATA drive working this time. Windows doesnt reconize it, but if i use Symantic's utilities, it sees its there, and can identify everything about it. Why cant i use it?

When i built my comp (8 months ago) i remember seeing something on this site about needing to push like.. F10 or F8 while you are installing windows for it to install the the SATA drivers.

Windows ISN'T on the SATA drive, its on a standard hard drive. I dont have a raid config, so the only thing i need to figure out is how to get that SATA going.

Any1 got the answer?

Il be installing WIN-XP SP2 Home Edition 32bit (till vista comes out :rolleyes: )
PC SPEC'S
(See sig)
--------------
AMD ATHALON 64bit FX-60 @ 2.6Ghz
4GiG OCZ (i know only 3 gig can be used at once:( )
ASUS A8N-32 SLI DELUX

if you're not installing windows on the SATA drive then you just need to download your motherboard's SATA drivers and install them after you've installed windows. to install windows on the SATA drive you'll need the SATA drivers on a floppy disk and when it says "press F6 to install SCSI or RAID drivers" press F6 and follow the prompts to install the SATA drivers.

Oh, awsome thankyou. I dont have to do anything physicaly on the Mobo right? cause my sound card and the videocard blocks all access to doing anything with it (resetting pass, popin out the battery, flashing the memory) i just need to go to the ASUS site, dl the drivers, and install them while in windows correct?

Hmm. I installed the Drivers for my Sata drive, but it still isnt picked up in My Computer. If i go to device manager, its there, and it says it doesnt detect any problems with it.

Hmmmm.....

Ok... I got it going. Man, that was a tricky thing to work with.

I had to install the drivers for it from ASUS. Then, i had to go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

There, i was able to see it, and i had to then right click it, tell it to partion the drive, and now its formating as i type this. Much more work than i realized, im just glad i saw that disk management last time i was checking its status in device manager, otherwise id be SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom