Windows XP Machine Does Not See HD's` - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Windows XP Machine Does Not See HD's`

I know this type of question has been asked a lot out there, but I have a bit of a twist on the problem that I haven't seen. I hooked up two HD's from another machine to check the condition of them. The HD's show up in BIOS but not in Disk Management. ? How do I get the computer to "see" them? The disks physically spin up and start working when the computer is booted, but they show up nowhere in any management screen. Help?

croSSeduP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Windows XP Machine Does Not See HD's`

Quote:
I hooked up two HD's from another machine

What operating system was on the other pc?

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Windows XP Machine Does Not See HD's`

Quote:
Originally Posted by croSSeduP View Post
I know this type of question has been asked a lot out there, but I have a bit of a twist on the problem that I haven't seen. I hooked up two HD's from another machine to check the condition of them. The HD's show up in BIOS but not in Disk Management. ? How do I get the computer to "see" them? The disks physically spin up and start working when the computer is booted, but they show up nowhere in any management screen. Help?
I recommend hirens bootcd and use minixp on the cd and use its diskmanagement tool.
Download Hiren’s BootCD 15.2 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform
If it picks it up upon bootup, fix the drives so they will appear my making their partitions active.
However if they do not show up rightaway or at all I suspect the drives cable maybe going out.
Replace them if thats the case.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote