Windows Restarts Mid-Update AND Mid-Driver Install

MayonnaiseBandit

Beta member
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 32.0 GB (31.5GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Windows 8.1
2TB Sata

Graphics Card: XFXRadeonHD5850 XFX Radeon HD 5850 Graphics Card - 1 GB GDDR5 - 256-bit - 725 MHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 with AMD 760G/SB710 microATX Motherboard - Socket AM3+

I rebuilt most of my computer, including mobo, cpu, and doubled my existing 16gb of ram. Computer boots fine, mobo didn't have drivers for windows 10 (I should've checked before I bought it I guess, oops) and the display looked awful with no way to fix it, so I downgraded to windows 8.1 (wiped the hard drive, fresh install). I did all the windows updating I needed, and installed everything from my mobo's cd.

The on board display can't even run youtube on full screen without skipping pretty badly, and does not allow for dual monitors at all. It just auto mirrors the displays without the second monitor showing up in either the resolution settings or the device manager.

I am used to an AMD A10 with a bit of graphics power, is this how bad on board typically is? Am I missing drivers to help the on board display work properly?

I have a graphics card plugged in, who's fan powers on, and shows up in the device manager but not by name ("Microsoft Basic Display Adapter") with a yellow icon next to it, and every time I try to install the drivers I've downloaded from AMD's website the screen goes black without warning and the computer restarts.

Similarly...
Whenever I have windows go to install updates it does it too, it never finishes its updates it just crashes. Either of which, the windows updates (like 238 of them) or the amd drivers, may allow my graphics card to work but they won't complete the install. I read online about turning an auto restart feature off and things like that but it didn't stop it from crashing. Please advise! Even if I don't get to use dual monitors right now I'd love to be able to have some real graphics working on one of the monitors at least!

Every post online I can find is typically referring to a similar problem that is not the one I am having, and I tried the sticky thread here with the list of troubleshooting problems. Any that seemed close to what I have going on I've tried, but most didn't seem quite like what I need.

Let me know if you need more, or less info

Back
Top Bottom