Windows reinstallation exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNEMESiS42

Beta member
All right, so, I recently backed up all my stuff and decided to reinstall Windows. I had both the 64-bit windows and the 32-bit windows installed on the same drive, in seperate partions.
I split my drive into two 10 GB partitions and the rest would be for files. Everytime I try to reinstall Windows (whether it be the 64-bit one or the 32-bit one) I get a BSOD at startup. I get the initial blue screen that shows all the files being loaded up at the bottom, and then finally it says "Windows is starting up" and I get the BSOD. The error I get is 0x0000007B. I looked it up and it's linked with HDD failure. I popped it in another machine, like MS suggests, and did chdsk...found no problems. I then tried installing 32-bit Windows while it was in this machine, and it worked fine! I took it out, put it back in the initial machine to install 64-bit Windows...and BSOD again, same place, same error code. What in the world could be up? I'm thinking maybe the motherboard? Everything was working fine prior to this, and the Windows I installed through the other system works on this computer fine.
If it helps, I have an Asus P5WD2 Premium and a Pentium D 820.

I always have such horrible luck with Windows reinstallations!

Make sure the HDD jumpers are set correctly. Also, try switching HDD cables.

It could be that your CD is corrupt.

I got the same error on both CDs.
The installation worked fine on another computer. The 32-bit Windows installed, and if I tried to do the 64-bit it went through everything fine, until it actually tried to install and told me I need a 64-bit processor.

Have you tried rebuilding the boot sector? is the HDD reporting all SMART tests ok?

it'ssounds like a hardware issue... check all your jumpers, cables, etc... also check your ram... swap the ram with another machine if you can try again... make sure all your PSU connects are tight as well...

Hmm, I can't even get to the screen where it gives you the option to repair the boot sector when Windows tries to install. I tested it with WD's DataLifeguard Diagnostic program, and it gave me all good checks...

I just bought another gig of RAM, but I'll try taking out both the old and the new...I'll check all connections and everything.

Is there any way that I can test only the motherboard? I'm still suspecting it's gone to hel.l...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom