Windows: "Insuffient disc space" 410 gigs free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunyboy

Banned
Greetings.

I'm trying to copy some data from my internal HDD to my friends external uSb 2 HDD, and windows is telling me theres insufficient space on his hdd when clearly 410 gigs are free for whatever.

Does anybody know why this is?

Thanks.

Yes, the drive is partitioned. Assigned to "G". all of the Hdd contents show , and i can view the media thats on the drive..

I only get the error if try to copy a file larger than 4 gigs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Quotes set on the folders"

on a side note, he partitioned on his mac book i believe..

would that have anything to do with it? I'm on Windows XP.

The reason you can not currently transer files larger than 4 gigs is because the current file system on the HDD is FAT-32, which has a transfer limit of 4 gigs. You need to change the file system to NTFS.

So, back up any files he has on his usb hard drive to your internal one (temporarily). Then, reformat the partition on the USB HDD that you would like to transfer the files to using windows xp's built in formating program (Start > My Computer. Right-click on the G: drive and then click format). Make sure that you set the file system to NTFS. Next, click format. When it is finished, transfer all of the files you previously backed up onto your internal drive to his USB HDD. You will now be able to transfer any file size you like, even over 4 gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom