windows installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynical897

Solid State Member
Hi, I just got a new computer put together and i need to put windows xp on it. I have the disc. When i power up the computer everything reads as it should except it says "cmos checksum bad" i have read that that may be a glith or bug in the ECS board that i am using. i am able to get around the message by not having the keyboard installed. ( i was told to boot and get past the message and then quickly install the keyboard so it also gets power ) i did that and the keyboard worked untill i needed it to install windows xp. On the opening setup screen where it says to continue installing windows xp hit enter. thats when my keyboard stops working. Anyone of you have any ideas how to get xp installed on this system succesfully?

The specs of the pc are:

motherboard - ECS 945-P
cpu - pentium d 920
video - 6600gt pci express
ram - gig ddr2
harddrive - western digital 250GB in sata 2
and 2 dvd drives, and a floppy.

Have you tried to set your bios to default. I know this is a stretch but worth a try.If it were me I would take it apart and return the motherboard and get one that works right. You shouldent have to do that with a new system.

get into the bios and load "optimized defaults" or "performance defaults" and save , it will likely fix the error , if after fixin the error youll still have keyboard issues in the xp setup then play around with then enable/disable (depending what the current settings is) the ps2 keyboard wakeup in "power managment setup" in the bios not sure it will help but worth a shot , also you might wanna look in my first reply at this thread http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96848 about how to integrate service pack 1 or 2 to the windows cd and why its important , also it have links to windows xp install guides

i tried resetting the bios, but my bios doesnt save settings i have changed. its all messed up, i am going to have to get it replaced. thanks for your help though.

yes i agree with nitestick, the cmos battery is probably dead, or not seated all the way. That would explain why your bios arent being saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom