Windows does not recognize sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am having trouble installing a sound card. I have tried 2 different PCI slots and Windows will not recognize the card. I tried using the cd it came with and during the setup, it asks me to close the program.

The card is a Soundblaster X-Fi xtremegamer.

I installed that driver and the sound works now. But I still think there is something wrong. I tried to run the creative software update program and it did not recognize any cards installed.

Why wouldn't Windows recognize the drive? Normally it will install itself. Is there something in the bios I have to enable to allow this? The reason I ask is a couple of days ago, I cleared the CMOS. Maybe that disabled a setting.

I believe I am having MOBO problems. I don't know how all this is related to the MOBO but I been receiving the nvlddmkm error, I just had a hard drive die, now Windows will not recognize a pci card. I have a pci network card installed and it still picks that up but I have not taken that out. Also my dvd drive seems to be acting slowly but that could be the drive itself going bad.

The nvlddmkm error is related to your gpu. Intal the latest drivers from nvidia's website.

Did you install the chipset drivers for your board?

Yeah I know that error is related to the GPU. But I have done so many things trying to solve this, I am going mad.

This is what I have done so far:
1. installed new drivers, older drivers, all using a driver cleaner
2. did a fresh install of Windows 7 with only the necessary drivers
3. RMA'd the card through EVGA
4. tested the memory, one stick at a time, different slots, no errors
5. installed a new PSU, Corsair 850HX
6. cleared the CMOS
7. I keep an eye on the temps, nothing overheating
8. installed the newest chipset drivers
9. updated the bios to the latest version
All I can think of right now.

One reason I believe this to be MOBO or hardware related is because the outlet that this computer was plugged into was not grounded(old house) and I would get shocked while I was holding a coax cable and touching the case at the same time. For some reason, it was producing 50 volts in the ground hole even though there is not a ground wire hooked up.

That is the main reason I believe it is a hardware problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom