windows display driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontend_001

Beta member
I just installed a brand new AGP video card in a used machine that I bought several months ago. I was previously running a PCI card over a motherboard with an onboard adapter using shared memory.
The new card's manual said to remove all old video drivers, so I did that in windows with the 'add/remove programs' option. I shut the computer down, removed the old PCI card and inserted the new AGP one. After that, I couldn't get windows to show anything. Whether I tried my PCI card, AGP, or just used the onboard adapter everything would display correctly up to windows, and then the monitor would go blank. I could even hear the windows start-up tone through my speakers! Since the PC is used, I can't re-install windows or use the system recovery options (I don't have the disk). Are there any other things I could do to get the OS to recognize a new video card (or any video card, for that matter)?

Also remeber if you dont have the drivers for a card windows uses its default, now these almost always work, so it sound like you might need to go into BIOS and you need to change where windows looks for video to the AGP slot, if its looking to the PCI then even while the card is in AGP it displays nothing because its still looking to the PCI slot.

I couldn't go into safe mode or use any other option from the startup menu. The reason I couldn't re-install windows was because I didn't have the windows disk; the man who installed it simply bought an additional license for my computer.
Also, I tried every combination of my cards and display adapter, and I switched the bios from agp to pci(and vice versa) as well.
Anyways, I just got it working! Since windows was booting(it just didn't find the monitor), I used the accessibility options meant for disabled people to install the correct driver! I activated the Narrator with [Windows] + U, and he read the windows as I tabbed around to the correct options. Three cheers for blind people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom