Windows - Delayed Write Failed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Windows - Delayed Write Failed

I recently starting getting this error with my external HD. I can still access all the files except I cant play any movies/music files; i can still open pictures/txts etc..

Its a mascot 3.5 enclosure with a Hitachi HD inside.

heres the error message i keep getting

Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Thats the master file table... It can't be updated, sounds like something is corrupted... Try performing a chkdsk /r on that drive and let it run... Also, back up your data incase the enclosure is whats corrupting the data or if the HDD is failing....

Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

you could load up a live linux distro to drag & drop the data to a new external HDD
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Ironically, this enclosure was my backup. It's 160 gig, while my main is 30 gig and i have a secondary drive that's 80 gig..

I already tried doing drive G > properties > tools > check now.

I ran a chkdsk and it found a bad file system, thankfully there were no bad sectors. So hopefully chkdsk can fix this.

Also this message only appears if my computer goes idle. Whenever I'm actually using my computer, it never happens.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste

Just make sure you have hard copies of whatever data you deem important (DVD's, CD's or blue ray)

Even back up hard drives can still fail.

Once you have your data on DVDs or whatever, continue using the harddrive until it dies, just don't rely on it as the soul means of backup..
Closed Thread