Windows Can't Complete Install. New HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezerguy187

Baseband Member
I installed the Sata 300gb serial hard drive just fine. I put in the diskwizard from seagate to install the hard drive and it goes through. Now, i put my windows installation CD in to install windows xp onto my hard drive. When i get to the part to push enter to install windows, is where the problem is. I push enter and it says no hard drive could be found. Whats going on, ive been stressing about this for days. I have no floppy drive so i can't f6 it and load the Mobo drivers. But i could buy a floppy drive if that is what i have to do. Thanks in advance!

what do u mean format it? I ran the the diskwizard from seagate to install the drive. IF that didn't format it then how do i?

I forgot to say that there is no previous hard drive in the computer with windows on it. So this is the only harddrive on the system. It has nothing on it so i can't get to teh desktop.

isnt there a option when you are in setup to install sata drivers or something? or is that for raid? cant remember...

wait: what version of xp are you installing? sata is relatively new, so xp pro has no sata drivers, sp1 might, and sp2 does for shure. so if your using xp pro(no sp), then you might have to slipstream your xp disk with sp2(google)

SATA controller driver

Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders. Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.

i needed that too, i am getting a sata hdd so this is a nice little tidbit of info

just reread your post, you might have to pick up a fdd from somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom