Windows=beast that never sleeps. D= - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Windows=beast that never sleeps. D=

Whenever I try to shut down my computer, it won't. It doesn't matter if I do it via the Start Menu, Task Manager, or by pressing (not holding!) the button on the front of my computer case (which is set to shut the comp down through the OS).

Thanks to Task Manager, I can tell that there is a tiny processor hit when I do it - 1-2% - but nothing beyond that. It doesn't even matter when I close all TSR programs, it still won't shut down or restart. It doesn't even leave the desktop! It's like I never even told it to shut down or restart. Very strange.

Also strange is that my sound card - integrated sound - has, twice in the past two days - cut out. The first time, it came back by itself. The second time, I had to open the utility provided with the motherboard to tell it that speakers were connected. (AC97 chipset)

I haven't changed any hardware in months, and I haven't changed any drivers since a few weeks before these problems appeared. In all, the powering down problem has bugged me for a week, perhaps two. BTW, Hibernaton is disabled, and I've set it so that the only thing that even goes into standby is the monitor. Here's my system specs:

FoxConn motherboard
AMD Sempron 2300+, 1.58 GHz
512 MB RAM
DVD drive (no write)
Floppy drive
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9250, running Catalyst 5.3
120 GB HDD
20 GB HDD
Antec TruPower 350 watt PSU
Windows XP Home SP2

Old 10-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to JeremyTM

Have you tried opening the CMD shell and typing "killall"?

http://68.61.193.107/images/techstatuslogo.gif http://68.61.193.107/images/earth.png
Old 10-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

run HiJackThis 1.99.1 and post the results here if the kill all command dosent work. something else you can try is, go to task manager, processes, and end all of the svchost processes, that WILL result in a reboot in under 60 seconds...i hate that. there is a virus that will end the most important one, and will make the system restart when the cpu meets full load.
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 10-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

killall didn't work, unfortunately . . . but by trying at random intervals, I've found that my computer will sometimes shut down or restart normally; sometimes it'll require me to choose it twice (as in, go back into the start menu and pick "shut down" a second time before it'll shut down); and sometimes it'll do nothing, as I previously described. But if I have to pick it more than twice, it won't work no matter how many times I try. I'm not at home right now, but when i do get home I'll download HijackThis and post the results.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Do a format.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

run hijackthis first and we will decide if its a virus, a shell error, or just a weird system error. after hijackthis, run Spybot Search And Destroy, and try to restart again
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Can you please tell which Antivirus software you are using ... ??

it's sound to me it's Norton, I'm not sure if you are using it.

I have got many case in my work same as yours, I uninstall it and shutdown issue resolved.

it has been known after reinstalling it again the problem fixed.

if you are using something els please let us know.

I have fixed many shuutdown issue at work.

Thanks

Closed Thread