Windows 7 driver confilct with internal DVD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSAW87

Solid State Member
Good Afternoon fellow techies,
I have a little problem with a computer I've been working on. I installed windows 7 on the system which was a custom built pc with an Asus P5QPL VM-EPU motherboard. All was well with the system and the dvd drive worked fine as I had to use it to install office and some other programs from disc after install. Then I hooked it up to the net and started getting the many and various updates through Microsoft updates including the optional updates for the various computer components. The computer works great and I proceeded to drop it off at the owners house. He went to plug in his usb printers and pushed the pci card out of its slot due to a shoddy plastic slide clip system that is used on this particular computer case to hold in all the pci cards etc. Anyway ever since his dvd drive won't work. It recognizes in the bios and will boot from cd but will not work in windows 7. The device manager says the proper drivers are installed but gives me an exclamation mark that signifies that they are not. When I try to install the updated drivers it tells me that the proper and most up to date drivrers are already installed. His dvd drive is a sata but I also tried another dvd drive via ide and it does the same thing. Keep in mind both drives work fine on my computer and I have a similar asus board running windows 7 which was installed with the same cd. Now is this due to an update that was applied to the computer or possible motherboard damage that was incurred when he pushed the pci card out of its slot during operation? THe bios recognizes everything but windows will not? I would like to try everything possible before updating his bios because I don't really want to take a chance of it bricking on me considering that its fast and functional its just he drives wont' recognize. His hard drive is sata and works fine. Any suggestions? Sorry about the long story here but I am very rattled by this particular case.

sounds like you need to delete the upper and lower filters on the dvd drive

NOTE: After removing these registry keys and rebooting, it may be necessary to reinstall any CD or DVD recording applications.

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class
* {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

Thanks alot once restarted after deleting the registry value the dvd drive recognized no problem. Thanks for the help.

The fix for the registry is working great but I am having a recurrence of the same problem and for reasons unexplained. It only happened once again after a restart. Could it be after an update is applied that it would happen? Although its an easy and fast fix anybody have any explanation as to what is causing the registry problem to occur? It only affects the dvd drives and nothing else on the system. Any input would be great thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom