Windows 7 64 bit Laptop stopped recognizing CD Drive and all external memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lux_007

Beta member
I don't know what is going on here but I have tried everything that I can find on the internet as far as possible solutions.

My computer simply will not assign a drive letter to anything except for the C Drive. I have gone into computer management and tried to assign a drive letter to the CD Drive because it is shown in there but it has no drive letter and it will not show up in the files tree. As soon as I assign a drive letter the drive letter shows for one second and then disappears. This is the same for anything that I attach to the computer. If I put a SD card in, my cell phone, an external hard drive. They will all be shown in the computer management/disk management. But will not have drive letters assigned to them.

Please help

Never heard of that one. Did you do diagnostics on your hard drive, from your HDD's manufacturer? Sounds like a corruption of some kind.

I really don't think that is the problem. Its almost like windows permissions is not allowing me to assign a Drive letter to anything. I will run a diagnostics on my hard drive just to see though.

Ok so the DVD/CD Drive does show up in BIOS but I couldn't run the diagnostics because the Hitachi Diagnostics tool requires a boot from disk... Any other solutions?

Okay so I put the DVD drive in first boot order and ran hard drive diagnostics and everything came up fine on the hard drive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

you can try going into regedit and deleting the upper and lower filters for the cd dvd rom drive they will get reassigned when you reboot.

1) Close all open programs
2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class
* {4D36E965-E325-11CE-
BFC1-08002BE10318}

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7) Reboot your computer
8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone

PC Hell: How to Fix Error Code 39 with DVD or CD-ROM drive in Windows XP/Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom