Window Trails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaolinDreams

In Runtime
Hey guys and gals,

I got this little problem.. :freak: let me explain.

specs:
Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 mobo
E6600 @ stock
2gb DDR2 Ballistix 6400
Nvidia 7800GS 512mb AGP
580watt Hiper PSU
19" iiyama CRT

just upgraded some parts to my computer: motherboard, cpu and ram. Everthing went without a hitch except for this problem in the link below. im not that noob to computing but i aint no expert so i have generally done the basic things to try to resolve this.. The problem is.. when i boot into windows straight away and say open 1 window (explorer) and shake that window around its pretty much smooth no matter how fast i shake it. But if i have open more then 1 window.. i get this window trails

http://www.youtube.com/v/gSKoct1Vlf0&rel=1

The more windows are open on desktop the more choppy it becomes and the trails get much worse. also when im moving this window around my cpu says its 50% usage, is this right?

Does anyone have any ideas what causes this and if there a fix or option i should check?

Thanks in Advance,

ShaoliN
:eek:

It's called system lag. Your CPU/GFX can't keep up with redrawing the window as fast as you are moving it. Odds are you have stuff running in the background that are eating up your CPU cycles. Open up Task Manager and check it out.

you may also want to go into MSCONFIG and see what all is being started up with Windows.

A couple of malware/virus scans wouldn't hurt, either.

thanks for the response trotter, ive tried to streamline msconfig startup, services and processes as much as possible. but this still occurs. i didnt have this before on a lesser spec pc. i had the same graphics card before and now got E6600 which im sure it cant be. this has really stumped me. baring in mind i have formatted and am on clean install performance is generally much much better then before except for this problem. Any more ideas guys?

Peter why are wanting to know why everything is in bold?

Hello,

So this problem did not occur before you installed your new motherboard, cpu and RAM?

Did you uninstall all the drivers for your old motherboard before installing the new motherboard, and did you install the drivers for your new motherboard afterwards?

that correct Alvin

I clean formatted my computer when installing this new hardware. So i dont think old drivers cos im fresh .. installed latest chipset drivers from this mobo, bios, tried 5 nvidia drivers so far.. all the same except the older nvidia driver it was much worse. atm i have only 35 processes running in taskman.

Another weird thing is when moving a window or even scrolling a page.. cpu usage goes up to 50-60%. Snd when scrolling... theres a sort of split down the middle.. the left half scrolls up ok but the right side sort of lags behind and stutters also. :\

Have you checked to see if all your BIOS settings on your new motherboard are set correctly?

I think so Alvin, as i had an Asus before so this one is slightly different.

I set ram to 266mhz and 333mhz that didnt fix it, cpu is at stock, made primary graphics adaptor agp, turned agp to x8, turned off lan and left everything default. im no expert so i dont understand all the settings but most are on auto.

update: Ive flashed the bios with 4 different versions all to no avail.

Have you tried to start in safe mode to see if it stops. I know that's no solution but just a test to see. Also It seems to me that 36 processes running is kinda high. I mean I have a lot of stuff running on my system but I'm at 26 processes. Not sure but seems high. how many Icons in your right hand task bar. disconnect from the Internet and turn all the things off one at a time to see which one clears this up if any will.

1. I took out the Nvidia 7800GS and popped in my old 9800pro.. still the same
2. I took out DDR2 ram and popped DDR400 in... still the same

ill try the safe mode next. I dont think its processes cos i had around 50 before on old system and didnt have this. 36 is kinda streamlined i thought lol

so i dont think its bios versions, gfx driver or gfx card, also ram. Dont think its the cpu and i dont think my mobo even thou its a cheapo would cause this, this is like basic graphical effort, moving a window lol im truly stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom