Win7 Aero -> Basic

rhu1949

Daemon Poster
The other night I turned my PC on and did my usual: opened fraps, nvidia experience, origin and team speak. Nvidia showed me that there was a new driver for my card so I went ahead and got it. Started playing battlefield 4 and had all kinds of issues with the game itself not working so I was getting frustrated. In addition to that the game refuses to stay full screen, so I click the window again and again until it stays full screen. (this was an issue before the driver change btw) After an hour or so playing I got a message from windows saying something along the lines of "your pc is performing slowly and it is recommended that you change to basic mode." I had no idea what this meant so I checked my processes and nothing looked to be taxing my machine any more than usual so I ignored it. A little while later I get the message again, but this time I didn't get any option, I was just told that the allocated memory had been exceeded, or something like that, and that windows was changing from aero mode to basic. I closed all the programs I mentioned above and looked at my processes again, nothing funny that I could tell.

Is this driver related or does what I described make any sense at all? WTF is going on?

Thanks

Could be you were running low on RAM and virtual memory, or your card was being taxed.

What was your memory usage while you were playing, or did you happen to look?

Could be you were running low on RAM and virtual memory, or your card was being taxed.

What was your memory usage while you were playing, or did you happen to look?

I don't recall exactly, but I remember that it wasn't a significant amount different than usual. Somewhere around 7 out of the 8 that I have. I don't know why the card would be taxed. As far as I know it usually isn't. I say that because I have most of my settings on Low/Medium and I run pretty stable at around 100 fps. I was actively using shadow play instead of occasionally using the shadow recording, which is the only difference from my usual routine. But from the performance shown in the task manager nothing seemed too different to me.

Start > right click 'Computer' > Properties > on the left panel click "Advanced System Settings" > under Performance click Settings... > Advanced tab > Virtual memory: what does it say for paging file size?

If you click "Change..." is the automatic box checked?

Looking at the specs in your signature, there is nothing normal you could be doing to cause this. Heck, i've never had this happen in my life.

Sounds like there may have been a memory leak, or perhaps a virus consuming a lot of CPU time or disk read/writes.

Is it a persistent problem or has it rectified itself now ? (assuming you have rebooted)

I've had this happen and it can be random. The GPU playing BF4 will always be fully taxed as that's the idea no matter the settings to get maximum FPS (unless Vsync is on). That being said, if the game was screwing up not wanting to stay in full screen mode then Windows was rendering both Aero and the game at the same time which would cause this.

Didn't have a chance to even turn my PC on last night, but I should be able to tonight. I can answer the virtual memory question in a second when I do.

I strongly doubt it is a virus, all I currently do is use origin. I don't even really check email on this machine. Every once in a while I will look at youtube.

The rendering thing...is there anything to be done or is it worth bothering about? Vsync is off btw.

Long as BF4 stops acting stupid and can be full screen all the time you shouldn't have an issue. There isn't anything wrong going on here. It's just Windows trying to give you more performance when you're not full screen.

Back
Top Bottom