Win XP setup errors I'm getting

Status
Not open for further replies.
reread orig post:

Do you wish to recover any of the data that was on your hdd's, or do you just wish to repartition your drives?

check ram/ide cables. Does it take varying amounts of time to post? turn off bios logo and watch ram amounts, timings, cpu speed, hdd model number, number of drives reported, etc.

I'm not worried about stuff on the drive. I have tried parted magic 4.4 and I it see's all my drives. When I tested my boot drive it reboots at 70 or 80% of the test happened twice.

HD:

Boot: 74 GB Sata 1 boot drive
Storage: 250 GB Sata 1
MB: giga-byte 925xe Daenxp
Windows XP Pro SP 2

The way my computer is setup right now with parted magic is

74 GB hd is Primary Partition
250 GB is Extended Partition in NTFS

Windows only see's the three storage drives.

I removed all HD's from computer except boot drive. Even though Spotmau see's it and everything windows setup does not. So What I need is a floppy start up disk so I can FDISK and partition it that way. So then Windows will see drive and install it from there.

Any ideas what files I need from XP Pro SP 2 to achieve this boot

Yes the boot drive is a WD 74 GIG Sata 150 hd. It shows channel 0 on bios when it boots but, when I use Spotmau software even having it set to primary it shows 74 gig hd as disk 3 not disk 0 like bios has it. Shouldn't the boot disk be disk 0 in a partition and other 3 storage HD's be disk 1,2,3

Yeah the other 3 Sata drives show up unpartitioned in windows setup screen. If you click on create partition it goes to next screen but, it cursor freezes and I can't proceed.

Does the boot drive have to be channel 0 or can it boot from any channel in bios?

Note: The three Sata HD's that windows see's are in rem hot swap in my front bays of my tower below my dvd rw.

I figure if sata cord or sata slot on mb failed it would not show it at all when turning on computer bios part before windows correct.

So only way bios see's it and windows doesn't is a HD with bad sectors on it correct?

Maybe I'll try windows 7 when its released and see if it corrects my issues. Isn't 7 supposed to have utilities to fix hard drive issues like i'm having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom