Win 8.1 will not recognized Epson R200 printer

suppafreak

In Runtime
Hello,

I recently rebuild my PC with the following:

ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SAT
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DD
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan For Intel LGA1366/1156/1155/1150/775 & AMD FM1/AM3+
Intel Core i7-4770K Processor 3.5GHz 8MB LGA 1150 CPU, Retail

I also installed Win 8 Pro and then update it to Win 8.1. So far everything seems to be working OK except one item. For some reason when I connect my old Epson R200 printer via USB I get the following error:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

There are no actual drivers for R200 printer on the Epson website, however, it says that Win8 should automatically recognize the printer and install the driver.

To troubleshoot the issue I did the following:
1. I connected my Canon Pro9500 printer to the desktop using the same cable and that printer was recognized.
2. I connected the R200 printer using the same cable to my Asus notebook which also has win 8.1 installed. The printer was recognized and drivers were installed.
3. I tried different USB ports.
4. I installed the R200 drivers manually.
5. I contacted Epson support, but they were no help.

Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Thanks

The Epson web site does have a guide for installing the R200 with Windows 8.1 here
Epson America, Inc. - Support - Highlights

Be sure to turn off any antivirus/antimalware software that might interrupt the driver installation, if it does not show the driver listed, then use windows update option to update the driver list

I am not sure which driver I need to uninstall. I assume the USB driver. I also tried manually installing the driver specified by the link you suggested but that did not halp.

I am not sure why, when I connect the printer to USB2 port I get an error. I connected the printer to the USB3 port the printer was recognized. I guess too bad I have to sacrifice the USB3 port at the back of the PC, but as long as it works I have to deal with it. I am not sure if there is any other solution.

I am not sure which driver I need to uninstall. I assume the USB driver. I also tried manually installing the driver specified by the link you suggested but that did not halp.

I am not sure why, when I connect the printer to USB2 port I get an error. I connected the printer to the USB3 port the printer was recognized. I guess too bad I have to sacrifice the USB3 port at the back of the PC, but as long as it works I have to deal with it. I am not sure if there is any other solution.

Well if you wanted to, you could install the driver provided by epson for windows 7 or windows 8 32bit-64bit and install it ?

Run the installation again and install the driver, run the .exe and compatibilty mode as the administrator always.
Choose compatibility mode windows 7 or windows 8 in the menu box.
That should be enough for it to jump start and work.
Epson Stylus Photo R200, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

They said its compatible with 8.1 if thats not the case you may want to call technical support and find out what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom