Win 7 install issues

pro2a

In Runtime
I am upgrading a tower for a customer who would rather upgrade then buy new. Her HDD was failing so I ordered her a new Patriot 60 GB SSD SATA II

System specs are as follows:
Intel Celeron D 352 3.2Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM (1 stick) <-- MoBo manual says 2 sticks of 1. I'm not sure if this really matters or not.
300 watt psu
Onboard GPU (ATI Radeon Xpress 200)
MoBo RC410M

I checked everything out. GPU is DX9 compatible, both memory and processor are enough to run Win 7. The MoBo has two SATA ports. BIOS detects the new SSD. I formatted the SSD with Gparted. It starts to install, then I get the dreaded error 3 times now.

"Windows cannot install required files. Makre sure all files required for installation are available and restart installation. Error code: 0x8007048F"

I've swapped SATA ports, tried new cords, even tried the SSD in a good tower and it works just fine. I'm at a loss here.

What I always do before attempting a clean windows install on a new hard drive is
1. boot from an Ubuntu live CD
2. open gparted
3. format the hard drive which will be used for the installation of Windows (make sure to do it in ntfs. Windows doesn't like ext4 :rolleyes:)
4. install Windows

If that still doesn't work, try to make new partition tables with gparted.

It would also be a good idea to make sure your Windows 7 installation disk is clean and has no scratches on it.

Turns out the DVDROM was buggy. I tired another one from another PC and it installed fine. I looked up the code and some people suggested the hardware wasn't adequate enough to transfer large amounts of files. Either try a new DVD or a slower drive.

Back
Top Bottom