Will not post. Have done everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phooey

Solid State Member
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read the thread... I know there's about a million of these around, but I've done everything that I can think of to get my comp to post.

I'll give the scenario and maybe someone will have an answer. I'd like to apologize in advance for my wall of text... this is just becoming a very big headache.

I bought an Acer Aspire at the end of 2008, during the time I've had this comp I've upgraded the RAM, power supply and video card in it. Since then I've had a couple over-heating issues but this was to be expected since I only have the default heatsink and had a very dusty back end fan (which has now been replaced).

The computer has been running fine other than the occasional lock-up due to overheating so I decided that I would poke around and see if I could add another fan into the case. I discovered that it had front fan holes so I thought I'd try there. Once I finally figured out how to take the front end off I tried to fit it on the outside, didn't fit, so I ended up removing the HD so I could try to get it in on the inside, but it didn't fit either.

Now here is where I think I may have done something to cause the posting issue: The fan that I had didnt have an indicator for air-flow, so while I had the HD unplugged (forgot that I had it like that) I plugged in the comp and the fan and turned it on.

Now would something like this have caused any issues if I had everything else connected? [e.g. USB cords...etc]

On a side note: I did recently tune my nvidia 9600GT with a piece of software I found called MSI Afterburner.

I just want to let you all know that I have done EVERYTHING that I can think of... and by this I mean

• making sure cables/installed hardware are secure
  • cycled all my ram
  • cycled HD and CD-ROM drive + data cables
  • Re-seated CPU
  • I have no externals
  • I have no new hardware
  • All fans are working
  • Power is constant
  • Tried onboard video

After going through all of that, it still will not post... I really want to avoid spending more money on this comp, and I know there must be a way to fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.

When it doesn't post do you get a beep code? When you say it wont post, what does it do exactly?
When you reseated your CPU, did you reapply new thermal paste?
Having the HDD unplugged shouldn't do anything, I occasionally have to boot using one hard drive if I ever need to troubleshoot (I have 2). During this instance I leave one hard drive unplugged and it hasn't caused any problems, so far I have done it about 6 times.
Also, when you opened your computer, did you follow basic ESD procedures?

No, not receiving any beep codes. When it hit the power switch, my HDD/Optical drive/fans all turn on but nothing on the monitor.

When I reseated my CPU, I did not reaplly any paste because I didn't have any on me :(

In regards to ESD procedures, I didn't have any grounding materials but I did make sure that I was working in a clean area (wood kitchen table) and made sure that there was no dust/dirt on any of the connecting surfaces. I made sure to hit the power switch after unplugging my PC a couple of times to make sure no more power was running to it, but I will honestly say that I may have forgotten to do it once which gives me the idea that I actually have shorted my mobo.

I'm at the point where I won't have any choice but to go the route of getting at least a new mobo/cpu.

Well when I once put the wrong processor into a motherboard (first time upgrading computer) everything spun up, but nothing appeared on the display. Perhaps your CPU is overheating immediately and refusing to start with your other components.
You defiantly need more thermal paste, just about any will work as long as you use a small amount.
Here is a thermal paste that will work fine. Clean all of the thermal paste you can off of the processor and heatsink using a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol 70% or above. Then place a drop the size of a pea in the center of the processor and put the heatsink on top of that. Be sure that none of the previous thermal paste touches anything other than the heatsink, processor, and maybe the plastic used for mounting the motherboard, if it touched any circuitry it can cause problems.

Also, when you try to boot using an onboard video card, did you get the option to boot from onboard in your BIOS?

Some simple ESD procedures to follow without any equipment would be to never work on carpet (use tile flooring if possible), don't wear static inducing clothing, don't handle computer components in your socks, wear shoes/boots, and every minute or two touch bare, unpainted metal to ground yourself, this could be the computer case itself, or the power supply even.

EDIT: It is possible that you may have damaged a component with a static discharge.

Phooey said:
When I reseated my CPU, I did not reaplly any paste because I didn't have any on me

Did you leave the old paste on the cpu and heatsink, or did you clean it off?

GhOsT1321 said:
Then place a drop the size of a pea

That's to much paste, you only need a little. About the size of a single grain of dried rice.

Perhaps your CPU is overheating immediately and refusing to start with your other components.

I don't think it's an over-heating problem. I have 4 fans running, and when I place my hand inside the case after it's been closed for a very extended period of time I can feel decently cool airflow.

Also, when you try to boot using an onboard video card, did you get the option to boot from onboard in your BIOS?

When I tried booting without my card still nothing shows up.

You haven't answered my question.
Did you leave the old paste on the cpu and heatsink, or did you clean it off?

Sorry about that... was making dinner while replying to the post hehe

No, I left the old paste on. I haven't been having any heat issues with the old stuff that was on. Should I be reapplying paste every time that I remove the heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom